Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB)
The Oaklyn Public School System wants each student to experience a safe and bully-free educational environment. Bullying comes in many forms, including new, high-tech cyber-bullying. Please consult these resources for information on the prevention of bullying. Students should never hesitate to see their counselor or an administrator if they experience bullying in school.
Harassment, intimidation, or bullying means any gesture, any written, verbal or physical act, or any electronic communication, whether it be a single incident or a series of incidents that is reasonably perceived as being motivated by either any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical or sensory disability; or by any other distinguishing characteristic; and that takes place on school property, at any school-sponsored function, on a school bus, or off school grounds, as provided for in N.J.S.A. 18A:37-15.3, that substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other pupils; and that:
- A reasonable person should know, under the circumstances, that the act(s) will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a pupil or damaging the pupil’s property, or placing a pupil in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his/her person or damage to his/her property; or
- Has the effect of insulting or demeaning any pupil or group of pupils; or
- Creates a hostile educational environment for the pupil by interfering with a pupil’s education or by severely or pervasively causing physical or emotional harm to the pupil.
REPORTING AND SCHOOL ANTI-BULLYING SPECIALISTS
To report a suspected incident or issue involving harassment, intimidation, bullying, or cyber-bullying, please contact your building principal or the School Anti-Bullying Specialist listed to the left.
SCHOOL DISTRICT POLICIES AND REGULATIONS
- Policy 5512 - Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying
- Regulation 5512R - Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying
The Oaklyn Public School System wants each student to come to experience a safe and bully-free educational environment. Bullying comes in many forms, including new, high-tech cyber-bullying. Please consult these resources for information on the prevention of bullying. Students should never hesitate to see their counselor or an administrator if they experience bullying in school.
Bullying.orgBullying.org’s purpose is to eliminate bullying in our society by supporting individuals and organizations to take positive actions against bullying through the sharing of resources and champion them in creating non-violent solutions to the challenges and problems associated with bullying.
Helping Kids Deal with Bullies
Bullying is intentional tormenting in physical, verbal, or psychological ways. It can range from hitting, shoving, name-calling, threats, and mocking to extorting money and treasured possessions. Some kids bully by shunning others and spreading rumors about them. Others use email, chat rooms, instant messages, social networking websites, and text messages to taunt others or hurt their feelings.